As I said in my last post, I have been working on three violin's for our annual school art auction. Well I have good news. The auction was a fabulous success! We raised over $8,000! The violins where a huge hit. It made me so proud to watch the parents bid and then to see the violins get great new homes!
Let me tell you a bit about my process. I was given a chance to sit in the back of the room during their 40 minute art class once a week for 3 weeks. I would call the children over individually. Today I'll highlight the violin I call "Beaded Zebra". The children LOVED working with the beads. I simply deconstructed the violin and spray painted the body turquoise and drew on the zebra stripes. The children then applied the glue (I used Aleen's Max Tacky) and sprinkled the beads on. The following week I had the kids each take turns painting the edges with gold. This scared me at first because kids aren't too precise but I actually think the messiness gives the piece an antique feel. The 3rd and final week I had all the kids sign their names on strips of paper that they had painted with watercolor. They then decoupaged the strips to the back so that the violin was signed by each and every student. Finally I took it to a master instrument mender (Thank you George!) and had him put it back together. SO MUCH FUN!